Monday, September 24, 2012

Meditation

Sorry I have not written lately, I have been busy planning a wedding. Through this process I have not been doing so well with my personal wellness. One area that I have really noticed that I am struggling in is meditation. I have come to realize that I NEED to meditate in order to function properly. I was thinking of a semester that was crazy busy, but I had a goal to meditate 30 minutes each day. That semester was one of the best semesters I have ever had. I didn't even have a headache that semester. I functioned properly and everything seemed to get done.

Meditation is a wonderful stress reliever. Let me tell you, planning a wedding is VERY stressful at times. Stress can take a toll on your health. I was reading about Meditation on the Mayo clinics website. They gave a list of types of meditation. My favorite way to mediate is by doing Yoga. I never thought I would like yoga because it is too slow. I live at a very fast pace and try to shove as much in a day as I possibly can. Yoga was the perfect medicine for me. After I do some yoga exercises, I feel like I can conquer the world. No problem is too big that I can't solve. Here are some of my favorite yoga poses. You can get these poses and more at www.yogajournal.com 

Warrior Pose
Step by Step
Stand in Tadasana [fancy word for stand upright]. With an exhalation, step or lightly jump your feet 3 1/2 to 4 feet apart. Raise your arms parallel to the floor and reach them actively out to the sides, shoulder blades wide, palms down.
Turn your right foot in slightly to the right and your left foot out to the left 90 degrees. Align the left heel with the right heel. Firm your thighs and turn your left thigh outward so that the center of the left knee cap is in line with the center of the left ankle.
Exhale and bend your left knee over the left ankle, so that the shin is perpendicular to the floor. If possible, bring the left thigh parallel to the floor. Anchor this movement of the left knee by strengthening the right leg and pressing the outer right heel firmly to the floor.
Stretch the arms away from the space between the shoulder blades, parallel to the floor. Don't lean the torso over the left thigh: Keep the sides of the torso equally long and the shoulders directly over the pelvis. Press the tailbone slightly toward the pubis. Turn the head to the left and look out over the fingers.
Stay for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Inhale to come up. Reverse the feet and repeat for the same length of time to the left.



Lord of the Dance Pose

Stand in Tadasana (Mountain Pose). Inhale, shift your weight onto your right foot, and lift your left heel toward your left buttock as you bend the knee. Press the head of your right thigh bone back, deep into the hip joint, and pull the knee cap up to keep the standing leg straight and strong.
There are two variations you might try here with your arms and hands. In either case, try to keep your torso relatively upright. The first is to reach back with your left hand and grasp the outside of your left foot or ankle. To avoid compression in your lower back, actively lift your pubis toward your navel, and at the same time, press your tailbone toward the floor.
Begin to lift your left foot up, away from the floor, and back, away from your torso. Extend the left thigh behind you and parallel to the floor. Stretch your right arm forward, in front of your torso, parallel to the floor.
The second option with the hands is to sweep your right hand around behind your back and catch hold of the inner left foot. Then sweep the left hand back and grab the outside of the left foot. This variation will challenge your balance even more. Then raise the thigh as described in step 3. This second variation will increase the lift of your chest and the stretch of your shoulders.
Stay in the pose for 20 to 30 seconds. Then release the grasp on the foot, place the left foot back onto the floor, and repeat for the same length of time on the other side.
Full Pose
For the full pose, perform step 1 as described above. Then turn your left arm actively outward (so the palm faces away from the side of the torso), bend the elbow, and grip the outside of the left foot. (You can also grab the big toe with the first two fingers and the thumb.) The fingers will cross the top of the foot, the thumb will press against the sole. Inhale, lift the left leg up, and bring the thigh parallel to the floor. As you do this, rotate the left shoulder in such a way that the bent elbow swings around and up, so that it points toward the ceiling. It requires extreme flexibility to externally rotate and flex the shoulder joint in this way. Reach the right arm straight forward, in front of the torso and parallel to the floor. Hold for 20 to 30 seconds, release, and repeat on the second side for the same length of time.


Cat Pose
Step by Step
Start on your hands and knees in a "tabletop" position. Make sure your knees are set directly below your hips and your wrists, elbows and shoulders are in line and perpendicular to the floor. Center your head in a neutral position, eyes looking at the floor.
As you exhale, round your spine toward the ceiling, making sure to keep your shoulders and knees in position. Release your head toward the floor, but don't force your chin to your chest.
Inhale, coming back to neutral "tabletop" position on your hands and knees.


Challenge: Take a few minutes out of your day to meditate. Try different types and see what way works best for you. I know it will help improve your well-being. I am up for this challenge, are you? 

1 comment:

  1. Haha I always thought yoga was a little weird, but it has grown on me a lot now that I've tried it. Good luck with the wedding planning!

    ReplyDelete