Ab exercises are so good for you because it helps you keep a strong core, which will help you keep good posture, protect your spine, and just help keep your body healthy and in good working order. I ran across this article today that talks about the 10 most effective ab exercises.
The most effective ab exercise is (drum roll please)............ the bicycle!
- Lie face up on your mat and place your hands behind your head, lightly supporting it with your fingers.
- Bring the knees in to the chest and lift the shoulder blades off the floor. Don't pull on your neck!
- Rotate to the left, bringing the right elbow towards the left knee as you straighten the other leg. If you want to make it more difficult, when you straighten your leg, try to keep it about 2 inches off the ground.
- Switch sides, bringing the left elbow towards the right knee. This completes one rep.
- Continue alternating sides in a 'pedaling' motion for 1-3 sets of 12-16 reps.
If you want to know more, here is the website I found the information at. It also has some other good ab exercises you might want to check out. http://exercise.about.com/od/abs/ss/abexercises.htm
Challenge: Incorporate the bicycle into your daily workout routine.